Tuesday, March 14, 2017

How to Build a Playlist for Your Practice

If you've been practicing yoga with a variety of teachers, you are bound to notice the differences in the way they teach whether it be favorite poses, certain phrases, distinct flow sequences, and even the music they play. Hannah Skye, one of the first teachers at Namaste, has some of our yogis' favorite playlists. It isn't uncommon for a student to ask for the name of a specific song after class and Hannah of always willing to share the wealth! 

In order to provide you with some great new jams to listen to any time of day and some perfect songs to practice to, we asked Hannah for her current class playlist. Check it out below along with the answers for how she decides what to play in her classes so you can feel inspired to build your own playlists at home!



This Week's Playlist: Spring Marched in

The Warehouse - the M Machine
Dreaming - Monteur
Body Suit - Banoffee
Stay Close - Anth M
Fire - Down Time
Away - Slaptop
Zero Hour - Dualist Inquiry
Voyeur - The M Machine
Isoterra - Dualist Inquiry
Touch feat. Daniela Andrade - Dabin
Fast Lane - Rationale
Breathe - ANIMA!
Purple Tears - Skye Chai
Forget you in LA - Poema
Now I'm Alive - O Mer
The Way She Moves - Tenru
Memory Tape One - HNNY
Float - Sol Rising
A Meaningful Moment through a Meaning(Less) Process - Stars of the Lid
Weightless Part 1 - Marconi Union

What do you look for in the songs you choose to play during your class?
When I build a new playlist, I first and foremost look for songs that will support the the practice and the vibe of the class. The rhythm of the music helps to set the rhythm of the breath and the movement. I love a good bass line.  If I'm playing songs with lyrics, I try to make sure that the lyrics either support the yogic theme or at least don't pull focus from the practice - no aggressive swearing or violence is allowed on my yoga playlists. I love electronic music, but I try to avoid anything with excessive beeps, clicks, or shrill noises. I love it when I can find songs that specifically match the theme of the class, though that's less important than the overarching feel of the playlist. I used to be more "on the nose" with the songs I picked. For example, a few years ago I taught a summer themed class that included songs all about summer - one of which was "Summer Girls" by LFO. After a couple classes, one of my students stopped me and begged me not to play that song any more. It's less important to be clever with my song choices than it is to blend a mix of songs that can support a seamless flow.

How do you find the music you play in your class?
I've never been very "cool" when it comes to music. Honestly, I get a lot of recommendations from Spotify and through stalking other people's playlists whose music tastes I like (specifically other yoga teachers). I've definitely pinned down a few artists that I love, particularly for yoga playlists: Dualist Inquiry, the M Machine, Chrome Sparks, Odesza, Milk and Bone, Broke for Free, Big Wild, Helios....and I'm sure many others that I'm forgetting.

Do you play songs in a specific order according to tempo? If yes, how to decide the order?
To fit the normal arc in a Vinyasa flow, I start with songs a little calmer and slowly build as we build heat. The fastest and most exciting songs usually happen somewhere around the middle of class where I often break for some core strengthening. The tempo will then dip back down a little stay fairly steady until we approach the end of class and everything slows down and mellows out for cool down. If I play music during savasana, I always look for something instrumental and mellow enough for people to either enjoy in their meditation or tune out completely. Usually I time everything pretty well, but every now and then I have to shuffle songs around so that the playlist matches where we are in the flow.

What would you suggest for anyone putting together their own playlists to practice at home?
If you're practicing at home, I think you can play whatever you like! It's actually fun to do yoga along to dubstep or hiphop or even show tunes. In general though, it's good to build a playlist that has an arc and that matches the sort of practice you are going for. If you're having a nice chill yoga session, maybe stick to soothing instrumental songs. If you're going for a more fiery flow, then play the music that inspires you to move or dance even. The rhythm of the music will almost certainly influence the rate of breath and the speed of your movement (even if you aren't consciously aware of it), so I'd recommend choosing songs with a medium or slow tempo. 


Thanks so much for taking the time to share with us, Hannah!
Come check out her classes (and playlists) at the following days and times:

SUNDAY
9:15 - 10:30am         VINYASA :: Intermediate
10:50am - 12:05pm        VINYASA :: Advanced
5:00 - 6:00pm                 VINYASA :: Candlelight

TUESDAY
8:00 - 9:00 am                VINYASA :: All Levels
7:00 - 8:00pm                CORE :: Yoga Workout

WEDNESDAY
8:15 - 9:15am                VINYASA :: All Levels
THURSDAY
8:00 - 9:00am                VINYASA :: All Levels
7:00 - 8:00pm                CORE :: Yoga Workout
8:15 - 9:15pm                VINYASA :: Candlelight
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig