Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Student(s) of the Month: Ron and Jolie Matty


We say it a lot, but it is the biggest truth about what we do as a studio: our students are the life of our business, our space and our growth. Two of those students who light up our yoga rooms frequently were kind enough to sit down and tell us about their yoga journey and lives. Ron Matty and Jolie Franciscus Matty can be found practicing mat-to-mat in many of our classes, and we wanted to know a little bit more about their lives off the mat. 

NHP to Jolie: Who started practicing yoga first, you or Ron? How did you start practicing together?
We actually started practicing at the same time. We were smokers and had recently quit. We attended our first kundalini yoga class in 2008 at the local Y in hopes that it would ease the desire to smoke.

NHP to Ron: Do you remember your first yoga class? Tell us about it.
I had no idea or expectations and I was at a point in my life where I was newly sober and open to trying anything new reaching out for new experiences. We chanted the mantra "ong so hung" and for 10 minutes Joile and I fell into a laughing fit and we tried to stop without much success. The instructor had acknowledged us and said, " It was ok! It happens." I walked away thinking it was oddly interesting. It had me ... the freedom, the weirdness and the chanting. Things I had never done before.

NHP to both: What superpower does yoga give you? Do you agree with each other's answers?
Jolie: "I became Plasticman" (Ron: "Hahaha Jolie thought the question was Superhero!)"
Jolie: If yoga were to give me anything that I would consider a superpower, it would be the confidence in my strength and flexibility, to try new poses that at one time seemed out of reach. It also has given me an internal stillness that can often feel like a superpower, physical and spiritual powers.
Ron: Humility and awareness. This is has been the start of what has been a life changing experience. Humility- I am made vulnerable, yoga keeps me teachable and open to new ways. It has taught me to laugh with myself and challenged me to experience new movements which seemed inconceivable. The awareness of self- how it's not always about pushing limits, but ease sometimes may also be most effective as well. A new perspective on selflessness from the instructors who have shown a dedication to teaching, the honesty and conviction to practice has made me rethink my beliefs about my levels of commitment.

We both agree with each other's answers!

NHP to both: What is your next goal in your practice?
Both: Combine our practices in Acroyoga.
Ron: Eka pada sirsasana. A handstand without kicking up.
Jolie: Just to keep advancing, and really stick a handstand!

NHP to both: Has your relationship changed in any way since yoga came into your life?
In so many ways- an appreciation of grace and respect in the physical aspect, the beauty and strength of movement, the advance and growth has created a new found admiration and respect for each other and how we move and how we move together in life. Spiritually we have deeper connection, on a soul level when we return to savasana we are one, it's the most amazing experience to connect on such a meaningful level. As our practices continue to evolve yoga has allowed to experience each other in new ways on and off the mat. It has encouraged us to deepen our spiritual connection and live with a mindfulness and awareness of one another. This promotes a healthier understanding of each other and more effective communication. Doing yoga together has added harmony, balance and synchronicity to our busy schedules. It is in our practice to combine schedules to make sure we do have quality time together.

NHP to both: Do you have a go-to class?
That is determined by how we feel on any given day we enjoy so many of the instructors each bringing something different to the table. We are confident we will get exactly what we need out any class we take.

NHP to both: Do you have a teacher who you just think gets you?
It has been our experience that all instructors whose classes we regularly attend get us. (NHP loves this answer!)

NHP to both: Where can we find you guys when you’re not at Namaste?
Jolie: I am a hair stylist at Ellouise Salon in Pasadena, and I am active in service work to the recovery community, and an avid ultra runner running trails in the mountains throughout California. I love spending time with our 3 pups and 4 kids.
Ron: I'm a classically trained chef and personal trainer. When I'm not in the gym or kitchen, I love spending time with my wife and family doing anything outdoors. Open water swims, hikes, BBQ's, digital art and movies with Jolie.
Both: We love experiencing new adventures together.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig