Monday, December 7, 2015

Teacher of the Month: Steven Arcos

Let's be honest: we all want to know Steven a little better! He is fun, kind, interested and interesting. Here are a few insights into Steve and his approach to life and yoga.

Namaste Highland Park: Where could we find you as a child?
 Steve: As a child I was wild. Find me running in the neighborhood, shoeless, tireless, and getting into trouble!

NHP: Do you remember your first yoga class?
Steve: My first yoga class was memorable but it was a class I took a few years later that was life changing. When I finally FELT my breath, body, and mind come together to shape the pose I was taking I knew I had found what I was put on this earth to do.

NHP: Is there a teacher who inspired you to take your practice further and/or teach?
Steve: One of the teachers that really inspired me to teach and continues to inspire me is Veronica DeSoyza. Her knowledge, commitment, and dedication never cease to amaze me!

NHP: What do you hope people take away from your class?
Steve: I hope people understand my passion. I am teaching with earnest. I want every student to learn something new and to leave knowing that I truly want to see them grow. It's very important to me that students know I am dedicated to helping them on their journey of self discovery.

NHP: What has been the most transformative part of your practice?
Steve: (This is a hard question) physically: back bending and heart opening have transformed my body and movement the most. Mentally: I have learned to manage anxiety, depression, ADD, and addiction issues through a regular practice. This more than anything has changed my life. Spirtualy: yoga has become my "church." It's how I connect to a power greater than myself which I see as prana, community or sangha, and the asanas.

NHP: What books do you always recommend?
Steve: I am a really big reader! I love East of Eden by John Steinbeck; it's a beautiful story of life, love, and everything in between. My favorite genre however is fantasy and sci-fi. I love trilogies and series. Check out Foundation by Isaac Asimov which reminds me of Star Wars, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin aka Game of Thrones, and the Ex-Heroes novels by Peter Clines where super heroes become zombies!

NHP: What does your personal practice entail?
Steve: My personal practice at home is equal parts yoga and strength training. I use high density foam rollers and pilates to maintain healthy muscle connections. I couple yoga poses with weights or incorporate flows between sets to keep my workout dynamic. In group classes I like to be creative. I enjoy finding places to play and experiment while being taken on a journey. Overall my practice tends to be physically demanding so that I am able to get out of my head and let go of any self imposed negativity.

NHP: What is something we'd be surprised to learn about you?
Steve: I am a HUGE Marvel Comics fan! I love the X-men and spend at least an hour a day reading comic books. Catch Steve on the mat in his Intro to Advanced classes Monday & Wednesday OR his NEW Hatha Yoga classes Tuesday & Thursday mornings. He is offering two workshops in the coming months: Arm Balances & Inversions on January 3 Hips & Gifts on December 20 Namaste, Steve!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig