Monday, December 14, 2015

How to: Hand Made Party Decorations

As I headed into the paper-cutting section of Michael's, I was excited to find paper punches in all variety of shapes and sizes. Upon realizing my excitement, I let out an internal groan. I thought to myself, "With all that is going on in this world, I am spending time at Michael's to find supplies to make a Pinterest project."

Crafting is something I've often rolled my eyes at for this very reason. Didn't it seem like a waste of energy? But, as I started cutting and folding tissue paper, I was amazed at how peaceful the process was. To see a project from a simple idea in my head to actually hanging on the wall made me feel creative, capable and - dare I say - a little bit Zen.

So, if you're like me and haven't so much as threaded your sewing machine since buying it, here is a chance to bust out your inner artist, and make your walls a little bit happier.

Finding Inspiration

  • A few months ago I made a Pinterest account for Namaste so we can share and connect with the community more. I started there, using Pinterest for inspiration for a "rainbow themed" birthday party for the studio. Check out the Pinterest board I created here
  • I was particularly inspired by hand made garland. I knew I wanted to include photo garland and a few banners, so from there it was just a matter of filling in the blank spaces around these central ideas.
Photo Garland
Our Instagram account is full of color, community and fun. I knew there had to be a simple and cheap way to print those photos. After comparing prices, I went with printing from Walgreen's. They have a direct "upload from Pinterest" option, and all I had to do was check the 25 photos I wanted printed. It cost less than $11 for all those prints. I simply used some twine and clothes pins from Michael's to complete the banners.

Word Banners

To my surprise, there were a bunch of options for printing letters for a few banners. I went with this simple download, and matted the letters to construction paper with my trusty sewing machine, to give things a more detailed feel. This step took less than 15 minutes and cost about $4 in supplies.


Tissue Paper Garland
This was my favorite part of the project. I did get a few pretty decent calluses by the end of making 200 ties, but it was worth it for the final look. I followed these instructions. A few tips I found:

  1. I used a paper cutter to make all the cuts. Paper cutters have come a long way since my childhood, and I was amazed at how easy it was to make so many cuts. 
  2. I tied each with twine. I would probably advocate using the clear tape like the post suggests, as this was the most tedious part. 
  3. I strung them with no particular pattern, and I think this really completes the hand made, curated look.

Circle and Square Garland
I was so inspired by this photo from 'Design Love Fest.' I also thought there was no chance I could make these, but I was definitely underestimating the power of good crafting products. Paper punches exist for nearly every shape, so you do not have to hand-cut the shapes. One quick trip to your craft store, and you will be ready to make all kinds of garlands. I chose circles, squares and rectangles. I found these instructions on Pinterest, and from there it was easy:

  1. Cut the shapes. Cut and cut and cut, because you will want to have hundreds at your finger tips when you start sewing. 
  2. Have a line of 20 or so ready to go, and simply start sewing down the center. Feed each shape into the machine at a slow speed in order to avoid dropping stitches in between shapes.
  3. Once you've got the hang of it, you can pick up the speed. I found it best to do about 10-20 shapes at a time, then pause to get a line of more shapes ready for myself. I loved the result and will be reusing this decor for sure.
As you work your merry way through garlands, remember that even crafting can be a beautiful meditation. Forget about the results, lose yourself in the process, get wrapped up in every tedious detail, and watch the rest of your worries melt away.

Happy crafting,
Bethany


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig