Saturday, January 2, 2016

Teacher's Book Stand: Bethany's books

We asked our teachers to snap a picture of their nightstands and tell us what they're reading. Here is a glimpse at Bethany's very full list.


I swear this wasn't staged. This is actually what my nightstand has looked like for months as I dig through some incredibly sacred texts (and some modern self-help nonsense). Here's what I'm reading and why:

  • The Living Gita is a translation of the Bhagavad Gita, a sacred Hindu song-story about the warrior Arjuna and his guide, Krishna. I first read this book probably seven years ago, when I was starting my yoga and sobriety journey. The message of needing to totally "kill" some things, even some things you have loved in the past, was powerful and resonant with me as I started such a major life change. Recently, I've been rereading this translation as part of a self book-study, using a guide book to read and answer questions about the text.
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali is a book most yoga teachers are constantly reading, reflecting on and referring to. Every so often in my classes, I go back through the themes of the Sutras with my students, helping people to understand the broader messaging of yoga. To me, that messaging is not about uniting body and mind but rather about discerning the fact that there is an element of life and self that is separate from body and mind. I am also rereading the Sutras right now as part of my self book-study.
  • Five Good Minutes is the hokey self-help book on my nightstand. It suggests an exercise to do each morning to set out with intention. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't, but I always try to get at least five minutes (and typically a whole lot more) out of my morning for my own personal practice. 
  • The (upside down) Complete Guide to Yin Yoga is something I turn to at night when I want a few Yin poses before climbing into bed. I also use it a lot for Yin sequence inspiration. 
  • Then, two iPads. Because, for real, I also watch old episodes of Friends at night when I have insomnia. It's a practice I started in college when my insomnia was terrible. I know all the episodes, so I never have to focus too much. I just lay there and listen to the familiar voices as my eyes close. I'll go through years at a time without insomnia, and I won't need this. With my health issues, I've been having sleep trouble recently. Watching stupid television beats taking sleeping pills as far as I'm concerned.
  • Finally, you'll see my very well-worn copy of When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron. This book has been my best companion for the past year. Many of you know I've been through the ringer with health and infertility. The traditional messaging I'd heard for hard times, things like "it happens for a reason" or "it's all part of the plan for you," well those things just didn't seem to work for me. Chodron's message is something more attuned to "shit happens, sometimes lots of shit happens, but it will help you understand life and be a better teacher." That was something I could get behind. I've probably themed more yoga classes from this one book than from any other. So, yea, I'm that teacher. The teacher who runs around telling everyone, "Man, life is gonna be so shitty!" when all the others say, "Man, life is ALL GOOD!" I'm okay being that teacher. It's more real for me.
I'll add that reading is a huge part of my personal daily practice. Before I do any yoga or meditation each morning, I sit down and read passages from my books. I always come to class with a message I want to share from what I've been reading. Whoever invented books, you have my never ending gratitude. They have been there for me in the deepest trenches. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig