Friday, November 6, 2015

Teacher Feature: Chris Reed



Where could we find you as a child? 
Usually skateboarding somewhere or down the street attempting to play music with friends.

Do you remember your first yoga class? 
I do! I remember this overwhelming feeling of bliss coming over me during savasana during that first class.

What was the first yoga class you ever taught? 
While still in my training I convinced the local SPCA where I was a volunteer to allow me to have a weekly yoga class in the cattery. The first few weeks no one showed up so I said the words as I practiced along. I bet whoever was watching the cameras thought I was a nut.

What do you hope people will take away from your classes?  
That same feeling of bliss that I found during my very first practice.

What advice do you wish you could give your younger self?
Be kinder. Things will be fine.


What do you do when you are not in the studio? 
I really enjoy to ride bikes, hike, run (although I don't run as much as I'd like), really anyway that I can explore the area. I'd like to go to the beach and camping more.

What two or three books would you always recommend to a friend? 
I've given quite a few copies of "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff... and it's all small stuff" by Dr. Richard Carlson away to friends. I also really enjoy Rolf Gates "Meditations from the Mat." I'm also a big fan of fiction. I generally suggest something by Chuck Palahniuk, Nick Hornby or Bret Easton Ellis usually things that are less yogic and often twisted.

Do you have a favorite place to meditate? 
Sometimes I sneak into the sanctuary when theres no class and meditate. It's so quiet back there.

Where is your favorite place to hang out in LA? 
I generally spend most of my time in the neighborhood, downtown, or anywhere on this side of town. there's so many rad spots to discover.

What is something that most people would be surprised to learn about you?
In my early twenties I was very overweight, largely due to poor eating and a heavy drinking habit. I finally decided to get active and pursue a better life. I started running, eating better and eventually quit drinking and was able to lose a lot of weight and begin to actually live the life I had imagined for myself. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig