Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sondra's Secret to Vitality


Disclaimer: This recipe is not vegetarian-friendly. We fully support efforts to eliminate animal cruelty caused by factory farming. 

The first time I told Sondra I wasn't feeling well, she said, "You need bone broth. Wait, you're not vegetarian are you? Of course you are."

At the time, I had been vegetarian for about five years. I was diagnosed with multiple auto-immune diseases a few years into my stint as a vegetarian, and doctors everywhere were telling me I needed to change my diet. My M.D., who is also an Ayurvedic doctor, told me I was eating wrong for my body type. My acupuncturist encouraged me to eat some meat to heat up my digestion, as vegetarianism is actually contraindicated in Chinese medicine. 

Sondra took one look at me and knew my dosha type - vata dosha - and knew it wasnt't being served by my diet. It took me some time to come around to the idea that some meat may help me heal. Once I did, I set out to find the healthiest and most responsibly sourced meats to add to my diet. Here is my experience making Sondra's prescribed "bone broth." As a recovering vegetarian, I'll warn you there is a chicken caracas involved. 

But, my theory has always been, if I'm going to eat the meat, I want to feel very connected with the animal and use its gift to the fullest potential. This recipe certainly does that.

Step One: Find a responsibly-sourced chicken

I recommend Healthy Family Farms which makes weekly visits to the South Pasadena Farmer's Market. From their website: "Healthy Family Farms is a sustainable, pasture-based farming operation in Santa Paula, California." You can even tour the facilities to see for yourself how the animals are raised. Animals raised in a pasture-based system are not only happier and healthier but serve the Earth they live on.

I purchased a half-chicken, bones and skin, for my recipe. If your farmer will sell you chicken carcass  (i.e., the left overs from their butchering), you can skip straight to step four. I enjoy using the chicken in my own meals first.

Step Two: Roast the chicken and enjoy it for a meal

I love a simple roast chicken. It helps connect me with the food I'm eating, which stimulates digestion and pays homage to the life given for my health. 

Here is my recipe:
  • Preheat oven to 200
  • Clean chicken and pat dry
  • Prepare a roasting dish with a tablespoon of olive oil or grass-fed butter
  • Dust the chicken in salt and pepper, rubbing in with your hands
  • Line the pan with chopped carrots
  • Rub minced garlic (3-4 cloves) over the chicken
  • Sprinkle thyme over the chicken
  • Pour a tablespoon of olive oil or grass-fed butter over the chicken
  • Roast for 30 minutes, covered at 200 degrees
  • Increase temperature to 400 degrees, roast for 30 minutes
  • Take lid off the roasting pan, watch for the chicken to start to brown
  • When internal temperature of the breast and leg have reached 180*, take the chicken out of the oven and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. It should continue to cook to 190* while resting.
  • Enjoy!
Step Three: Pick the bones

Pick the leftover meat off the chicken bones. If you have pets, this is a great add-in for their meals to give them some good fats and healthy protein. If you have some quality meat left over, it is excellent on salads and sandwiches for your week. You'll want to pick the bones relatively clean before making the broth. 

Step Four: Chop your veggies

You can add any veggies to your stock, but I recommend at least setting a base with aromatics. For one-half chicken, I recommend:

  • 3 large carrots
  • 1 head of celery
  • 1 medium onion. I replaced onion in my stock with leeks because I love their flavor in soups and broth.
  • Anything you have in your fridge! You can add mushrooms, radish or beets to your stock. 
  • Reserve part of the onion or leek if you'd like to add it to your broth as a finishing ingredient. I love some fresh leeks or green onion on soup. I also reserved some radish for topping
Step Five: Prepare your stock pot
  • Start by adding a very small amount of olive oil or butter to your pot, and turn the heat on to medium
  • Add your seasoning FIRST! This is an Indian cooking tip that will greatly improve your flavor profile. Here are some spices you can use:
    • Celery salt
    • Bay leaves
    • Oregano
    • Thyme
    • Ground pepper
    • Cinnamon (just a pinch)
    • Mustard seeds
  • Once your spices start to smell yummy, it's time to add your onion or leeks. Cook these down until just translucent.
  • Add the rest of your veggies, stirring with the spices for about 5 minutes
Step Six: Add the chicken bones
  • Add the chicken bones
  • Add enough water to cover your bones and veggies with at least a few inches to spare
  • Turn down the heat to low
Step Seven: Walk away
  • Stir about once an hour for 6-8 hours
  • Add water if needed
  • That's it! Drain your both over a strainer. The ingredients can be used again for a second stash. Your soup should have a healthy dose of collagen (i.e., should have a jello-like element to it). This is the beneficial part! 
Step 8: Enjoy warm

Spoon your broth as is into a cup for drinking or a bowl. The benefits of bone broth come from the collagen, which will help nourish you from the inside out. The warmth will stimulate your digestion and heat up your agni (inner fire). 

Step 9: But for real, what about the vegetarian/vegan folks?

We hear you, it's not easy eating meat. If you are adamantly veggie, you can still enjoy the benefits of broth. We recommend fermented vegetable broth for the biggest health benefits. You can find great stuff at Dave's Gourmet Korean, featured at the South Pasadena Farmer's Market (and others around town).

Enjoy!

Namaste,
Bethany

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig