Wednesday, January 7, 2015

When & How I Knew I Wanted to Teach Yoga

  1.  

    by teacher Bethany Eanes
    I was recently interviewed for an upcoming book, “Tales from the Traveling Yogini: My Quest for Wisdom Interviewing Top Yoga Teachers" (shameless plug). The very first question was, "What was the moment for you when you knew you wanted to be a yoga teacher and why?”
    At first, I had no clue how to answer. Was there a single moment I knew? How did I know? Why did I feel that way? In many ways, my path to teaching feels like an ever evolving one. Some days, I discover anew my desire to teach. Some days, I think I should stay on the other side of the studio. But, when I closed my eyes and visualized the answer to this question, I saw a distinct moment in my mind.
    About 5 years ago, I was working as an independent writer and web consultant. I had been working for my yoga teacher, Julie, for sometime when she mentioned I was welcome to trade services for her upcoming retreat to Joshua Tree. I jumped in. I’d been practicing yoga diligently for a year, and I’d come to think of Julie as my primary guru. I was intrigued and thought it would be a fun way to spend a few days.
    image
    (Photo: The senior teaching staff of Mukti Yoga School)
    Looking back, I couldn’t describe the experience as fun. I was only a few months sober, riding the emotional roller coaster of waking up to life for the first time. Like most addicts, and indeed most people, I always had a feeling of “otherness,” of not belonging. And like most, all I wanted was to be accepted unconditionally; perhaps, if it wasn’t too much, I also hoped to accept myself unconditionally someday. At the time, I couldn’t have put that desire into words, but I knew it was there - the often named “God-shaped hole” in my life. 
    I spent that long weekend practicing yoga, meditating, breathing and performing the “yogi cleanse” for purity. It was a real-deal-yoga yoga retreat. On the morning of our yogic cleanse, we followed with the Sivananda Classical Program, and it would be the first time I moved through the sequence. “Moved” is a relative term, as there is very little movement at all in the program. My teacher put us in poses, told us to trust her, and read words from her teacher to us while we did our best to stay put. I cried a lot. I was always crying those days. I cried through the program, and I cried through the talk afterward. As I listened to everyone sharing their visions and dreams for their lives, a part of my heart was deeply moved. I wanted so much for all of them to achieve their deepest desires, and I had a feeling they wanted the same for me. I remember every face in that circle. I remember thinking, “These people, I want to be one of them.” And then, immediately, I also thought, “I am one of them.”
    This was the beginning of my teacher journey. I was initiated into what we lovingly call “The Mukti Movement.” The faces in that circle have since become not only my dearest supporters, friends and tribe, but also my colleagues. In the 5 years since then, we’ve gone from disciples of the path to leaders on the path. 
     I wish I could tell you the hole in my life has been filled. In all honesty, I don’t know it ever will be while I’m still in this body. But I’ve gotten comfortable with the feeling of discomfort. I know how to fall down without falling apart. And I have a community of the very best people I know cheering me along.
    It is always an honor to lead new students through this process. On Sunday, January 18I will lead the Sivananda Classical Program at Namaste Highland Park from 12:30 to 2:30pm. As is traditional within my school, I’ll be sharing readings from Swami Satyananda during the program.
    On Saturday, January 17, the newest class of Mukti Yoga School teachers will start their 200-hour Foundation Module. They will learn to teach in the Mukti style, but more importantly, they will be introduced into the loving tribe of The Mukti Movement. They will forever solidify their commitment to being their best selves, to remaining teachable, to meditating, and to the good work of loving, forgiving and accepting. 
    I am so excited, and I would be thrilled to have you join me for either or both events!
    With loving kindness, 
    Bethany
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig